We all worry about our health while eating out or traveling but we tend to eat junk or unhealthy food when we are not at home as we usually have a fun relationship with junk food while eating out or travelling. However, when you eat out and travel, you can also enjoy healthy food and get the pleasure you’re looking for in junk food.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Loveleen Kaur, co-founder and chief dietician, Diet Insight, revealed that for short trips/meals-out, it is recommended to eat a high-fiber meal before you step out as it will ensure you don’t overeat. outside According to her, here are some quick and healthy food options that you can carry with you –
· Any seasonal fruit or vegetable salad sticks
· Slices of cooked beetroot
Baked sweet potato wedges
· Sprouts Salad
2. Sweet and Healthy:
Besan or mung dal ladu
· Ragi Ladoo
· Coconut laddu
· Makhana Ladu
· Oats balls
Nut or dry fruit laddoos
For long journeys, she said, “You don’t want to carry foods that will spoil after a while. No salads or anything with fresh ingredients like fruit.” She recommends some food options that have a long shelf life and will sustain you during your long journey –
- Nuts and Crunches:
· Cashew nuts
· Homemade cookies
· Potato Papad
· Raw banana crisps
· Sweet potato wedges
2. Quick and dry snacks:
· Fried Makhana
· A piece of coconut
· Murmura (Vel- Puffed Rice)
The dietician emphasized, “As you follow these tips and take these foods with you on your outings or travels, you must not forget to have fun. Eat out, don’t overeat; taste different cuisines and keep your taste buds happy.”
Aman Puri, Founder, Steadfast Nutrition said, “Traveling can be fun and adventurous, but following a healthy diet during that time can be challenging. Plan ahead to ensure you carry healthy snacks/meals while traveling to avoid eating packaged, processed and stomach-churning junk foods.” According to him, nutritious snacks to carry while traveling include:
- Whole Wheat Bread Sandwiches: Sandwiches are one of the most convenient, filling, and versatile snacks you’ll ever have. Choose your sandwich stuffing from vegetables, chicken, cheese, tofu, cheese, peanut butter and egg. Some healthy versions of bread include whole wheat, multigrain, millet, and almond flour bread.
- Chat Patti: You can make this mouth-watering, spicy chaat with boiled gram/rajma/lobia/soybean dal and your favorite vegetables. Add some chopped green chilies, lime juice, black pepper powder, and seasonings of your choice to taste. This chaat is rich in protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates which will help you feel fuller for longer.
- Fruit Bowl: Nothing beats a bowl of fresh fruit for a healthy snack. Fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and water, which will refresh you while traveling, help hydrate you, and provide energy without weighing you down. Pack seasonal fruits at home because buying fresh-cut fruits can increase the risk of bacterial infection.
- Nut and Seed Trail Mix: Trail mix is a very mess-free, healthy and nutritious snack that you can munch on while traveling. Stir in roasted nuts and seeds, dried cherries/goji berries/cranberries/apricots/apples/raisins and dark chocolate chips. This snack is convenient and delicious and contains the goodness of healthy fats, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.