Chaitra Navratri is an important Hindu festival celebrated for nine days in the month of Chaitra, which falls between March and April. During this festival, the devotees worship the nine forms of Goddess Durga and fast to wish for prosperity, happiness and good health. Fasting is an integral part of Navratri, and many people refrain from consuming certain foods during this period. People prepare and consume special dishes that are light and nutritious, easy to digest and adhere to the dietary restrictions of Navratri fast. Makhana, also known as fox nut or lotus seed, is a popular ingredient used in Navratri fasting recipes. (Also read: Navratri Fasting Recipes 2022: 5 Delicious Recipes You Must Try )
Here are some delicious makhana recipes that can be prepared during Chaitra Navratri fasting. These dishes are not only nutritious but also easy to make and suitable for people of all age groups.
Delicious Makhana Recipes:
- Sweet potato and butter lick
(Recipe by Chef Amrita Raichand)
Boiled sweet potato – 200 gms
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Curd – 1-2 tbsp
Rock salt – 1 tsp
Pomegranate seeds – 2 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Green chutney – 2 tbsp
Date chutney – 2 tbsp
Makhana – 1/2 cup
Roasted peanuts – 2 tbsp
1. In a hot pan, add ghee and fry the butter until it turns crispy.
2. In another hot pan, add oil/ghee. Fry the sweet potatoes until golden on all sides.
3. In a serving bowl, first add the chutneys, a drizzle of curd, then the pomegranate seeds, roasted almonds, coriander leaves followed by the cheap potatoes.
4. Finally the roasted butters that you can crush whole or a little.
5. Enjoy your chat!
2. Crispy Butter
(Recipe by Richa Gupta/@HealthyKadai)
Makhana / Fox Nuts – 2 cups
Boiled and spiced potatoes – 1 cup
Mashed paneer – 1 cup
Chopped coriander – 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder, salt – as per taste
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Grated cucumber – 1/2 cup
Green chutney for serving
1. Fry the makhana in a nonstick pan until crispy. Cool completely and grind in a mixer grinder to make a coarse powder.
2. Add all the ingredients to prepare the mixture.
3. Make balls or cutlets in desired shape.
4. Heat an app pan and cook until all the balls are crispy. Keep flipping the balls until they are golden brown on all sides. It will take about 5-10 minutes to cook completely. Alternatively deep fry or shallow fry.
5. Serve hot with grated cucumber and green chutney.
Sweet Butter Recipe:
3. Makhane Ki Kheer
(Recipe by Chef Tarla Dalal)
1 cup lotus seeds (makhana)
2 tbsp ghee
5 cups full-fat milk
3/4 cup sugar
Some saffron (saffron) strings
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (nutmeg) powder
For the garnish
1 tablespoon pistachio slivers
1. To make Makhane ki kheer, heat ghee in a wide non-stick pan, add lotus seeds and cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp.
2. Remove from flame, let it cool and mix it into a coarse powder in a mixer. Keep aside.
3. Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar, mix well and cook on high flame for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce the heat to medium, add the coarsely crushed lotus seeds, mix well and cook for 19 minutes or until the milk reduces by half, scraping the sides of the pan occasionally.
5. Add saffron and nutmeg powder, mix well and cook on medium flame for 1 more minute.
6. Switch off the flame and allow to cool completely.
7. Refrigerate Makhane Ki Kheer for at least 1 hour and serve garnished with chilled pistachios.
4. Gur Makhana
(Recipe via Instagramfirstname.lastname@example.org)
2 cups flower makhane
3/4 cup jaggery, roughly chopped
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp sesame seeds
A pinch of salt
1. Dry fry the makhana for about 10 minutes until it turns light brown and crispy.
2. To check if the seeds are cooked properly, press between the fingers and it should feel hard and brittle.
3. Mix jaggery in 3 tbsp of water and boil till it becomes thick.
4. Add sesame seeds, salt and coconut and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add makhane and remove from flame.
6. Keep stirring continuously so that the jaggery sticks to the makhana.
7. Allow it to cool completely.
8. Store in an airtight container and is good for 2-3 weeks.
More stories to follow Facebook and Twitter