Mother’s Day is a special occasion to honor all hardworking and loving moms, including pet moms who play a vital role in raising and caring for their pets. Although raising a pet may not involve the same challenges as raising human children, it still requires significant responsibility. Being a pet mom involves providing love, attention, food, shelter, and medical care to ensure the well-being of your beloved pups. Despite the challenges, pet moms find joy in the unconditional love and companionship their pets offer. This Mother’s Day, let’s celebrate the dedication and love of all pet moms out there and look at the challenges and rewards of raising fur babies. (Also read: How can pets improve your health? )
Ambarish Sikarwar, Business Head, Jigli, shared with HT Lifestyle, why being a pet mom is both challenging and rewarding.
Rewards for raising pets:
1. Unconditional love: One of the most rewarding aspects of being a pet mom is the unconditional love and companionship that pets offer. Pets have an uncanny ability to sense when their owners are sad or in need of comfort, and they’re always there to lend a listening ear or listen when you need it most. This bond can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding, as pets become part of the family and provide a constant source of joy and comfort.
2. Reduce stress and anxiety: Studies have shown that pets can help reduce stress and anxiety in their owners. The simple act of petting a cat or dog can release feel-good hormones like oxytocin, serotonin and dopamine, which help us feel more relaxed and at ease. Additionally, the presence of a four-legged friend can provide a sense of comfort and security, which can be especially beneficial during times of stress or anxiety.
3. Improved physical health: Caring for pets requires physical activity, which can improve health. For dog moms, for example, their daily walks can help them stay in shape and improve their overall fitness. Additionally, pets help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease, as well as providing opportunities for outdoor exercise and fresh air.
4. Increased emotional well-being: Pets have been shown to help increase the emotional well-being of their owners. Pet moms often feel less lonely and more connected to their communities because they have fur babies. They also have a sense of purpose and responsibility that can boost self-esteem and confidence. Pets can provide a sense of comfort and stability during difficult times, and can also help alleviate symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Challenges of raising pets:
1. Training: Training your pet can be a daunting task that requires a lot of time, patience and consistency. As a pet mom, you need to train your pet to behave well around people and other animals, obey basic commands, and not engage in destructive behavior. This can include repetition, positive reinforcement, and addressing any behavioral problems that arise. However, training your pet can be a rewarding experience as you learn them and grow into well-behaved companions.
2. Health Concerns: Pet moms also face the challenge of caring for their pet’s health. This may include scheduling regular veterinarian visits, administering medications, and providing a healthy diet and exercise routine. This can be especially challenging if your pet has a chronic illness or requires special medical attention. However, with careful attention and regular care, you can ensure that your pet is healthy and happy, which is ultimately rewarding for both you and your fur baby.
3. Time and Attention: Pets require a lot of time and attention, which can be difficult to balance with other responsibilities. As a pet mom, you need to make sure your pet gets enough exercise, playtime, and socialization. This can include taking them for walks, playing with them at home, and setting up play dates with other pets. While it can be challenging to manage your time, the rewards of spending quality time with your pet are immeasurable, as it can strengthen your bond and improve your overall well-being.
4. Loss and grief: Losing a pet is one of the hardest challenges a pet mom can face. The bond between pets and their parents is strong, and loss can be devastating. As a pet mom, you must navigate your grief while also providing comfort and support to your other pets. Coping with the loss of a pet can be a long and difficult journey, but it can also bring a new appreciation for the time you shared with your pet and the memories you created together.