Vitamin C is an important nutrient for our body that performs a variety of functions, from ensuring a healthy immune system to maintaining healthy skin to cardiac function. Water-soluble vitamins are not produced naturally by the body and must therefore be included in the diet regularly for good health. Adults ages 19 to 64 need to get 40 mg of vitamin C every day. Eating citrus fruits is one of the best ways to add vitamin C to your diet. Oranges, kiwis, lemons, grapes, tomatoes, strawberries are all rich sources of this important nutrient. If you’re not sure how to get your daily dose of vitamin C, we’ve compiled some healthy recipes that you can easily make from the comfort of your home. Salads, chutneys, smoothies, juices and shakes are healthy and delicious ways to add vitamin C to the diet. (Also Read: Vitamin C to Zinc, Important Nutrients You Should Add to Your Diet)
“Vitamin C is one of the safest and most effective water-soluble vitamins. It is rich in antioxidants, protects against immune system deficiencies, prenatal health problems, heart problems, and skin problems. All fruits contain some amount of vitamin C, but Citrus fruits are one of the richest sources of this vitamin and thus help in strengthening the immune system and better absorption of iron from food sources – thus improving hemoglobin levels. Vitamin C also helps in building collagen in the tissues. It makes the skin wrinkle-free, clear and healthy. makes,” says Priscilla Marion, Executive Nutritionist, Cloudnine Hospital, Kalyaninagar, Pune.
Marian also suggests some healthy ways to add vitamin C to your diet during the summer.
1. Raw Mango Pudina Chutney
1 raw mango
1 cup mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 green chili
2 tablespoons tender coconut
Half a teaspoon of sugar or jaggery
Salt to taste
– Mix all the ingredients together in a mixer jar and grind it into a fine sweet and sour mint chutney.
– It is completely fat free and can be used as a substitute for pickles to add flavor to food and provide a cooling effect to the body to beat the hot heat.
2. Tri-color pepper salad
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 tablespoons grated broccoli
1 tablespoon sprouted green gram
2 tsp lemon juice, white and black roasted sesame seeds, a pinch of cumin powder and salt to taste.
– Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with sesame seeds and chopped coriander leaves and enjoy it for lunch and dinner or enjoy the summer heat with vitamin C rich tri-color pepper salad at lunch time.
3. Amla Mouth Freshener
1 kg crushed amla
250 grams of grated ginger
1 teaspoon of celery seed
Salt to taste
– Grind amla and ginger separately and add salt to both.
– Take a large plate and spread the fried amla on it.
– Then sprinkle ground ginger along with celery seeds on it.
– Allow it to dry in the sun for a maximum of 5 days and then store it in an airtight container for long term storage.
– This mouth freshener not only contains vitamin C but also acts as an antacid, relieving acidity and indigestion.
4. Karonda marmalade
250 grams of diced pink karonda
500 grams of sugar
1 glass of water
– These pink and white karondas are easily available in summer and are a rich source of vitamin C. De-seed each karonda after washing it.
– Put them in a pressure cooker with sugar and water and let it boil for 1 whistle.
– After the whistle, cook the flame for 5 minutes and then remove it.
– Allow the cooker to cool. Open it and mix well.
– Allow the pink karonda marmalade to cool and then store it in an airtight container. This marmalade can be eaten with chapati, plain paratha or roti. It can also be consumed as fresh cold squash/sorbet to beat the heat and ward off sun stroke and dehydration.
5. Fruity ice cubes
1 cup chopped kiwi
2 cups orange juice
1 small cup sliced watermelon
1 small cup chopped cantaloupe
1 cup cold water
Salt and sugar to taste
– Add required amount of water and salt and sugar to the orange juice for sweet and sour taste and mix well.
– Now add chopped fruits to it. Mix it well and put it in an ice tray to make fruity ice cubes in the freezer. These can be served to change the taste for picky eaters to enjoy the summer vacation in place of fruits.
More stories to follow Facebook and Twitter